Symmetry and Asymmetry

  "Asymmetrical designs are generally more active than symmetrical ones, and designers achieve balance by placing contrast elements in counterpoint to each other, yielding compositions that allow the eye to wander while achieving an overall stability." (Lupton/Phillips)




  This picture was taken by me this afternoon. I've already said that I love to take pictures for the beautiful sky~ And after I took this picture, I realize that this is kind of symmetrical designs. The trees on both sides of the road form a symmetrical picture. (It also can be seen as the last chapter content, "Point, Line, Plane"😆) 






  But seeing this one. It has no symmetrical items. Actually I like this one most. The two street lamps, one car, and the red light on that car make this picture more active. And this composition is really good! I like the asymmetrical pictures. I think asymmetrical things are complex and beautiful. Just like the book said, asymmetrical things are more active than symmetrical ones. I totally agree with that. We can make any kinds of different asymmetrical things. But asymmetrical things are very simple that I cannot imagine for that. 



评论

  1. I really like the contrasting symmetry you have in your pictures, not just with the objects but within the horizon line as well. The viewer is almost forced to use the street lights as a point of reference when trying to understand this image.

    回复删除
  2. I like your analysis of balance and symmetry in your pictures of the sky, especially your point on asymmetrical things being more complex. You did a good job at showing the concepts of symmetry and asymmetry even though both pictures are of the sky; and presumably the same sky at more or less the same time, it really shows how these concepts can make things look so different.

    回复删除
  3. I think you did pretty good at illustrating the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical compositions through photography. Also, I agree that asymmetrical balance creates a more aesthetic and captivating photo.

    回复删除

发表评论

此博客中的热门博文

Framing

Figure/Ground

Pixel and Grid